For the ice cream
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup plus 3 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1/2 tbsp red velvet emulsion or 1 tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the cream cheese swirl
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cold
- 2½ tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
For the red velvet hot fudge
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, chopped, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp red velvet emulsion or red food coloring
- To make the ice cream, in a medium pot, combine the heavy cream, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa powder over medium-high heat, cooking until warm enough that sugar and cocoa powder have dissolved, whisking frequently.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining 3 tbsp sugar until sugar.
- When cream mixture is warm, slowly pour into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, to temper them. Pour the whole mixture back into the pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot constantly, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Stir in the buttermilk, red velvet emulsion, and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic directly touches the custard, which will prevent it from forming a film. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- When custard is chilled through, pour it into the base of an ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- While the custard is churning, make the cream cheese swirl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and butter until combined and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, add in the confectioner's sugar and mix until combined. Mix in the vanilla and heavy cream. Set aside.
- Pour half of the ice cream into a storage container. Top with half of the cream cheese swirl. Add remaining ice cream and then remaining cream cheese. Drag a knife through the ice cream to swirl and combine. Cover and chill for about 3 hours, or until frozen through.
- To make the hot fudge, in a medium pot, combine the heavy cream, buttermilk, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa powder, sea salt, chocolate, and butter. Over medium heat, bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the red velvet emulsion. Let cool for 20-30 minutes before serving. Refrigerate in-between uses and reheat in the microwave to make it fudgy again.
- Serve ice cream topped with red velvet hot fudge and copious sprinkles.
Click Here To View Sources Website